Under our values of pride, compassion, progressiveness and partnership, we provide:
- an extensive range of acute medical services at Basildon University Hospital
- outpatients, diagnostics and a day surgery unit at Orsett Hospital (Orsett also houses a minor-injuries unit)
- diagnostic services (x-ray and phlebotomy) at the St. Andrew's Centre, Billericay
We primarily serve the 400,000 population of Basildon and Thurrock in south west Essex, plus residents of the neighbouring districts of Billericay and Brentwood (for whom we are the main provider of cardiology services) and Castle Point.
In addition to our extensive acute care departments, the Essex Cardiothoracic Centre based at Basildon University Hospital opened in July 2007 and serves the county of Essex and beyond. Amongst the most modern centres of its kind in the country, it provides specialist diagnosis and treatment for people with cardiovascular (heart) and respiratory (lung) diseases, and boasts the latest equipment and technology. It boasts a state-of-the-art treatment 'primary percutaneous coronary intervention service'. Heart attack victims from across the county are brought directly to the Essex Cardiothoracic Centre to have stents fitted to repair constricted coronary arteries, within just over two hours of the ambulance arriving at the scene.
Last year we treated:
- 63,000 inpatients
- 270,000 outpatients
- delivered 4,000 babies
- attended over 90,000 A&E patients
As a Foundation Trust, we have more control over how we allocate our budget and plan services. Local people, patients and staff can become members and have a say in the healthcare services provided. We want to remain the hospital of choice for local people, providing high quality, effective and efficient care.
Basildon and Thurrock Hospitals Charitable Trust
Our official objectives as a charitable trust are...X
To improve the overall patient expeience provided by Basildon and Thurrock University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and to achieve this end it will improve the hospital experience, the equipment available to treat or look after patients and the skills of the hospital personnel. Click on the logos to find out more!
Raise money while you search
Ditch your regular search engine and turn to Every Click for free, to raise money while you're surfing the internet. Every Click operates like all other search engines, but also generates cash for charity at the same time.
Why not set http://www.everyclick.com/basildonuniversityhospital as a favourite or even your home page to help us raise more money.
In 2004 we became one of the first 10 NHS Foundation Trusts in the country and are an associate teaching hospital.
How the Trust is run
The Board of Directors
- is legally responsible for the leadership and management of the Trust and our services
- consists of a Non-Executive Chair, seven Executive Directors and seven Non-Executive Directors
The Board of Clinical Directors
- The day-to-day running of the Trust is under the control of the Clinical Directors, senior consultants who manage the clinical directorates as well as carrying out their clinical duties
- The Clinical Directors, together with the Executive Directors, make up the Board of Clinical Directors which meet twice a month to make decisions on the operational activities of the Trust
The Board of Governors
- consists of elected public and staff members, and representatives appointed from local organisations. Our board has 50 members
- helps shape the direction, vision and values of the Trust
- holds the Board of Directors to account and appoints (and can remove) the Chair and Non-Executive Directors
- are from the local area or are Trust staff – they elect the governors, and effectively act as the community 'ownership' of the Trust
- may be anyone aged 12 and over who lives in Essex (minimum age to serve as a Governor is 16)
The Board of Directors is at the heart of the governance of Basildon and Thurrock University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.
The Board of Directors is the body legally responsible for the leadership of the Foundation Trust, directing and managing the services provided, and its members are individually and collectively accountable for the Board’s actions. To this extent, both the executive and the non-executive members of the Board of Directors function as a team, working closely together, although with different responsibilities. The chairman and non-executive directors are appointed (and can be removed) by the Board of Governors.
Board meeting papers
The date of the next scheduled board meeting will appear here
Venue: Committee Rooms 1&2, Level G, Tower Block, Basildon Hospital
The current and archived board meeting papers can be downloaded from the links below.