Older people - medical care
Who the service is for
Older patients who need hospital-based medical care.
About the service
Our older people specialists offer a range of inpatient, rehabilitation and outpatient medical services for older patients, including:
- outpatient clinics
- general and specialist inpatient care for acute medical conditions
- general and specialist inpatient care for patients with multiple and complex medical, nursing and therapy needs
- stroke services, including a 24/7 thrombolysis service, stroke rehabilitation unit and TIA clinics
- falls and bone health service including specialist clinics for falls, osteoporosis with DEXA scanning facility, and a tilt clinic
- comprehensive assessment of frail older people
- medical support to residents in care homes
- medical care for patients admitted with fractures and acute surgical conditions
- holistic care for patients with dementia admitted with acute illness
The hospital Frailty Team treat patients in the emergency department and the medical and surgical admission units. Frail older people who need a short stay in hospital are cared for in the short stay Frailty Unit.