Who the service is for
Babies, children and young people who need hospital-based care.
About the service
The paediatric department provides a range of services and has facilities dedicated to caring for our younger patients, including:
- Neonatal intensive care unit (NICU)
- Children’s emergency department
- Paediatric assessment unit
- Children’s wards with a school room
- Children's outpatient department
- Ronald McDonald House providing accommodation and cooking facilities for parents and siblings of long-stay patients.
Our paediatric clinics include:
- cardiac, including heart murmur and telemedicine clinic
- diabetic clinics, including parent teaching for new techniques e.g. epipens and diabetic pens
Wagtail Ward and Puffin Ward provide inpatient care for children who need to stay in hospital. The ward areas include accommodation for one parent to stay, an indoor and outdoor play facility and a school room.