The Department offer a comprehensive service to treat rheumatic conditions and patients come for multidisciplinary assessment and multiple joint injections. The range of problems seen include:
- Inflammatory arthritis: This includes services for Rheumatoid Arthritis, Ankylosing Spondylitis, Psoriatic Arthritis and other undifferentiated inflammatory arthritis
- Connective tissue diseases: For diseases like SLE (Lupus), Sjorgren's syndrome, Systemic Sclerosis, Myositis, PMR, GCA and other vasculitis and autoimmune disorders
- Metabolic bone disease: For Osteoporosis including special cases like Male Osteoporosis, young Osteoporosis, eating disorders, Paget's disease and Osteogenesis imperfecta etc
- Degenerative arthritis
- Regional musculoskeletal problems
Rheumatology day unit: Run by specialist Nurses with Consultant supervision in which biologics, cytotoxic, IV Bisphosphonates and other intravenous treatments are administered; diagnostic procedures such as lip biopsies and muscle biopsies are performed.
We regularly provide EMG/NCV services to patients on specialist referral.
We have a team of specialist nurses (Three full time and one part time) who help us in running Day unit and outpatient clinics for Biologic screening, DMARD monitoring and facilitating the care of patients with acute problems. We have a very experienced Associate Specialist (Dr. Abdel Osman) who helps in running the service smoothly. He also runs the EMG service.
The department has access to inpatient admissions, but most commonly contribute to the management of inpatients admitted under other medical specialities. The department has excellent relations and works closely with other hospital departments, primary care and other rheumatology departments in the region; it aims to provide an excellent and a most up to date service for patients with rheumatic conditions.
There are outpatient clinics run in both Basildon and Orsett hospital sites
- Early arthritis: With the aim to see a patient fulfilling criteria, within 4 weeks
- Connective tissue diseases: With the aim to see a patient fulfilling criteria within 4 weeks
- The criteria for the above two clinics are available on the Choose and Book site and can also be requested from the Rheumatology Department
- Osteoporosis Clinic: In this 'one stop' clinic (In association with Elderly Medicine Department) where we do DEXA Scan, reporting, seeing patients and advising treatment. Specialist nurse lead clinics
- Combined Rheumatology/ Orthopaedics
- Combined paediatrics/rheumatology
- Musculoskeletal ultrasound Services: We strive to provide this diagnostic service to patients at earliest possible opportunity either at the same time when they are seen in the clinic or within two weeks
- Joint Injections
- EMG Clinic: Referral to this service is on Specialist Referral only
For emergency contact Rheumatology Day Unit: 01268 524900 / 0845 155 3111 ext: 8461
Secretaries: 01268 524900 / 0845 155 3111 ext 3397/8359/2267/2391