Friday, 08 April 2011 14:09
James Mackenzie Ward
Level B, Basildon University Hospital,
Nethermayne, Basildon, Essex, SS16 5NL
Who the ward is for
Patients with acute heart conditions.
About the ward
James Mackenzie Ward provides treatment and care for:
- patients with acute coronary syndromes such as unstable angina, NSTEMI
- patients with heart failure, to either initiate or titrate their medication to improve their symptoms
- patients with an acute heart rhythm disturbance who may require initiation and titration of their medication
- patients who require emergency temporary or permanent pacemaker insertion
- patients who need to stay in hospital for a procedure, which is either performed in Basildon Hospital or at The Essex Cardiothoracic Centre
Senior nursing staff on James Mackenzie Ward also provide an outpatient day-case cardioversion service.
Patients who require cardiac surgery or percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI) will be referred to The Essex Cardiothoracic Centre.
Number of beds
- 10 beds in a coronary care environment with static cardiac monitoring,
- 13 beds in bays where mobile cardiac monitoring can be used.
Senior Sister: Jackie Smith
01268 524900 ext 4595
Open from 3.00pm - 5.30pm and 6.30pm - 9.00pm.
The ward is closed 1pm - 2.30pm, when patients are encouraged to rest
Information for visitors
- Only two visitors per bedside please.
- Children aged under 16 years are not permitted to visit, apart from patient’s own children who are allowed to visit at the discretion of the nurse in charge.
- Flowers are not permitted
- Visitors are able to bring in food, however there are no facilities to cook or to reheat food.
Lunch: 11.45am - 1pm (protected mealtime)
Last Updated on Wednesday, 12 March 2014 16:13