The Willow Suite
Monday, 11 April 2011 15:02
The Willow Suite
Maternity Department, Level D, Basildon University Hospital,
Nethermayne, Basildon, Essex, SS16 5NL
Who the ward is for
Women with a low risk pregnancy during labour.
About the ward
The Willow Suite offers midwife-led care for women with an uncomplicated pregnancy and labour, in a more homely setting.
Run by experienced midwives specialising in natural labour and birth the Willow Suite provides:
- a calm and peaceful environment
- water birth pools – which can be used for pain relief
- birthing balls, floor mats
- pain management options including gas and air, diamorphine injection and pethidine injection. We also have TENS machines (pain relief using small electrical impulses).
- immediate access to specialist services in the maternity unit, if needed
Number of beds
5 delivery rooms (including two pool rooms)
4 postnatal beds
- Lounge area which can be used during the early stages of labour. The lounge area has piped gas and air (also known as entonox) music and TV for relaxation. Birthing balls are also available.
- Kitchen with facilities to make tea and coffee.
- Fridge for storing chilled items (please be aware that we do not have facilities to reheat food).
- Milk kitchen with facilities for sterilising feeding equipment, preparation of feeds and storage of expressed breastmilk
Ward Manager: Denise Somers
01268 524900 ext 4597
Partners and siblings: open visiting hours
Other visitors: 4pm - 7pm
Information for visitors
- Children aged under 16 years are not permitted to visit, except for patients' / partners' own children.
- Flowers are permitted, but please be aware we do not provide vases for presentation.
These are allocated meal times but are not restricted
Last Updated on Monday, 12 August 2013 10:37