Did we get it wrong?

If we got things wrong and did not provide your care and treatment in the best possible way, we understand that you will want to tell us about it and ask questions. Anyone who is receiving, or who has received, NHS treatment can complain. You can complain for yourself or on behalf of a friend or a relative. However to make a complaint on behalf of somebody else you must have their written consent to do so.


How can I make a complaint?

You may wish to write a letter, email or speak to somebody personally.

You can contact our Patient Experience Team, Monday - Friday, 9am - 5pm 
Telephone: 01268 524900 ext 3222
email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 

or you can write to them at
Basildon University Hospital, Nethermayne, Basildon, Essex, SS16 5NL.

It is important that you give us as much information as possible about what happened, including where and when.


How long have I got to make a complaint?

It is always better to make your complaint as soon as possible after the problem occurred, or, when you first became aware something was not right.

Your complaint should be made within 12 months of the incident. This time limit can be discussed, but it is there to ensure that long periods of time have not elapsed, as this could prevent a full investigation taking place.


What will we do?

We will contact you within three working days, either by telephone or, if we do not have a contact number for you, we will write to you. This is so we can understand exactly what the problem is and agree what we can do to resolve it. It is also important that we know what you would like to see happen as a consequence of the concerns you have raised, and what actions we can take to help reassure you. When we contact you, we will also discuss the timescale for responding to your concern.


What will happen next?

We will write to you to confirm how we have listened to and investigated your concerns. This may mean providing an apology, explaining what changes and improvements we will make, or detailing any further action that needs to take place. We will ensure that our reply relates to the issues you originally highlighted.

If you need any help or advice to make your complaint you can contact your local Independent Complaints Advocacy Service (ICAS). ICAS provides independent advocacy for people who have a complaint about the NHS.

Independent Complaints Advocacy Service
PO Box 14043
B6 9BL

Telephone: 0300 456 2370
Fax: 0300 456 2365
Minicom: 0300 456 2364


What happens if I am not happy with the outcome?

If you are not satisfied with our response to your complaint, we will be happy to meet with you to explain or clarify any issues, or to discuss other possible ways to resolve your concerns.  If you still feel that your concerns have not been addressed, you have the right to ask the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman to review your case:

Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman

If you have any questions about whether the Ombudsman will be able to help you, or about how to make a complaint, you can contact them at:

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman
Millbank Tower
London SW1P 4QP

Telephone: 0345 015 4033
fax: 0300 015 4000
email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Further information about the Ombudsman is available at www.ombudsman.org.uk.


NHS links

Contact us

  • Basildon and Thurrock University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
    Nethermayne, Basildon
    Essex  SS16 5NL
  • Switchboard 01268 524900

Follow Us

Back to top