Did we get it wrong?

If we got things wrong and did not provide your care and treatment in the best possible way, we understand that you will want to tell us about it and ask questions. Anyone who is receiving, or who has received, NHS treatment can complain. You can complain for yourself or on behalf of a friend or a relative. However to make a complaint on behalf of somebody else you must have their written consent to do so.


How can I make a complaint?

You may wish to write a letter, email or speak to somebody personally.

You can contact our Complaints Team, Monday - Friday, 9am - 5pm 
Telephone: 01268 524900 ext 3222
email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 

or you can write to them at
Basildon University Hospital, Nethermayne, Basildon, Essex, SS16 5NL.

It is important that you give us as much information as possible about what happened, including where and when.


How long have I got to make a complaint?

It is always better to make your complaint as soon as possible after the problem occurred, or, when you first became aware something was not right.

Your complaint should be made within 12 months of the incident. This time limit can be discussed, but it is there to ensure that long periods of time have not elapsed, as this could prevent a full investigation taking place.


What will we do?

We will contact you within three working days, either by telephone or, if we do not have a contact number for you, we will write to you. This is so we can understand exactly what the problem is and agree what we can do to resolve it. It is also important that we know what you would like to see happen as a consequence of the concerns you have raised, and what actions we can take to help reassure you. When we contact you, we will also discuss the timescale for responding to your concern.


What will happen next?

We will write to you to confirm how we have listened to and investigated your concerns. This may mean providing an apology, explaining what changes and improvements we will make, or detailing any further action that needs to take place. We will ensure that our reply relates to the issues you originally highlighted.


What happens if I am not happy with the outcome?

If you are not satisfied with our response to your complaint, we will be happy to meet with you to explain or clarify any issues, or to discuss other possible ways to resolve your concerns. 

If you still feel that your concerns have not been addressed you have the right to ask the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman to review your case. They make final decisions on complaints about the NHS that have not been resolved. Their service is free and independent of government. You can contact them in a number of ways:

You can call: 0345 015 4033

You can contact them online at: www.ombudsman.org.uk/make-a-complaint.

You can write to:
The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman
Millbank Tower
London SW1P 4QP

Further information about the Ombudsman is available at www.ombudsman.org.uk.


Who can help me if I am unsure about what to do?

You can come and speak to one of our PALS officers or Senior Nurse during our opening hours. The PALS office is situated at the main entrance of Basildon Hospital and is open 9am-4.30pm Monday to Friday.

Alternatively you can either email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or telephone 01268 394440 where you can ask to speak to a PALS officer or leave a message and a member of staff will contact you.


Useful links

NHS ChoicesVisit our section on NHS Choices


safeguardingVisit our safeguarding page

 healthwatchClick here for Your one-stop-shop for information about health and care services in your area.

Contact us

  • Basildon and Thurrock University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
    Nethermayne, Basildon
    Essex  SS16 5NL
    Switchboard: 01268 524900

  • The Essex Cardiothoracic Centre
    Nethermayne, Basildon
    Essex SS16 5NL
    Switchboard: 01268 524900

How to find us

Click here for more information on how to get to our hospitals

Back to top