Equality and Diversity Scheme
The Trust is committed to providing equality of opportunity and freedom from discrimination, as well as dealing effectively with any proven act of discrimination, abuse or harassment to patients and staff. The Trust endeavours to treat staff, patients and the general public with dignity, courtesy and respect at all times by developing policies and procedures which actively promote equality of opportunity and anti-discriminatory practice in the provision of employment and services. The Equality and Diversity system is one way in which the Trust is trying to achieve and maintain this.
The Equality Delivery System (EDS)
The EDS is designed to help NHS organisations improve equality performance and embed equality into mainstream NHS businesses. The EDS is designed for the NHS by the NHS and is based on:
- best practice from across industry, including the Equality Framework for local government
- the views of over 660 people (including patients and staff)
- reviews and reports on equality in the NHS, including guidance from the Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC)
- learning from programmes such as Pacesetters, Breaking Through and Positively Diverse
The EDS applies to all NHS organisations, both current and planned NHS commissioning organisations, including GP Consortia, and to NHS providers including foundation trusts. By using the EDS, organisations will be able to meet the requirements of the Equality Act and be better placed to meet the registration requirements of the Care Quality Commission (CQC). The EDS helps the NHS to deliver on:
- the NHS Outcomes framework
- the right and pledges of the NHS Constitution for patients and staff
- addressing health inequalities in general, improving outcomes and reducing gaps
As an outcome from the EDS and working with both internal and external stakeholders, the Trust has identified two main objectives for the next 12 months. These are:
- Continue to develop and maintain communication and partnership working with external groups
- Ensure managers receive appropriate training regarding equality and diversity and people management
You can find more information on the EDS and the work we have been doing below:
- Background to the EDS
- Action plan - Department of Health Equality Delivery System and Equality and Diversity Programme
The Equality Scheme
The NHS constitution sets out the values of the NHS. Within this, the constitution states that all NHS organisations must provide a comprehensive service available to all and it has a duty to each and every individual that it serves; respecting their human rights. The NHS constitution further sets out that NHS staff have a duty not to discriminate against patients or staff and to adhere to equal opportunities and equality and human rights legislation. This, coupled with the Equality Act 2010, has led the Trust to take a global view of its approach in relation to equality and diversity and to develop a comprehensive Equality Scheme encompassing all aspects of the equality agenda.
Equality and Diversity Management Group (EDMG)
As part of the Trust's on-going commitment to Equality and Diversity, a management group meet throughout the year to report, discuss and champion equality and diversity throughout the Trust.
Work the EDMG has been doing:
- Inclusion Audits and analysis
- CTC Equality and Inclusion Impact Checklist 20-9-11
- Estates and Facilities Equality and Inclusion Impact Assessment 25-7-11
- Medicine and Emergency Equality and Inclusion Impact Assessment 8-8-11
- Women's and Children's Services Equality and inclusion Impact Assessment 20-9-11
- Inclusion Audits Analysis 2011
For further information on Equality and Diversity please contact Personnel on extension 3242.