Level B, Jubilee Wing, Basildon University Hospital,
Nethermayne, Basildon, Essex, SS16 5NL
Senior Sister: Jaroslava Xhani
Telephone: 01268 524900 ext 8421
Open from 2.30pm - 8.30pm with a quiet time between 5pm - 6.30pm. The quiet time does not mean relatives and friends cannot visit, just that consideration needs to be given to activity and clinical interventions during this time.
So that our staff can provide uninterrupted care for patients, please do not call the ward 8am -10am, unless absolutely necessary.
Who the ward is for
Patients who need general medical care or with respiratory conditions
About the ward
Florence Nightingale Ward is a general medical ward for patients who come into hospital either as a planned or an emergency admission. The ward specialises in the care of patients with respiratory conditions and provides:
- tests and investigations
- treatment of a range of respiratory conditions
- non-invasive ventilation for patients who have severe respiratory failure
- symptom management and diagnostic therapies, including blood gas analysis and oxygen trials
- chest-drain procedure room with ultrasonic imaging equipment
- an acute respiratory care unit providing high dependency care for patients with acute respiratory conditions.
Staff work closely with the respiratory nurse specialists, lung cancer nurse specialists, sleep services and TB nurse specialists.
Number of beds
- 20 beds in four bed bays
- 8 beds in side rooms, 4 with ensuite facilities
There are an additional eight high dependency beds in the acute respiratory care unit.
There is a quiet room close to the entrance of the ward.
- Breakfast: 8am
- Lunch: 12.30pm
- Supper: 5.30pm
Information for visitors
- Children aged under 12 years are not permitted to visit, apart from patient’s own children who are allowed to visit at the discretion of the nurse in charge.
- Flowers are not permitted.
- Visitors are able to bring in food, however there are no facilities to store chilled foods or to cook or reheat food.