Level B, Jubilee Wing, Basildon University Hospital,
Nethermayne, Basildon, Essex, SS16 5NL
Senior Sister: Caroline Strauss
Telephone: 01268 524900 ext 4612
Open from 2.30pm - 8.30pm with a quiet time between 5pm - 6.30pm. The quiet time does not mean relatives and friends cannot visit, just that consideration needs to be given to activity and clinical interventions during this time.
Who the ward is for
Patients who have had a stroke and need stroke rehabilitation.
About the ward
Lister Ward provides intensive rehabilitation for patients who have had a stroke. Staff working on the ward include nurses, physiotherapists, occupational therapists, speech and language therapists and rehabilitation assistants.
- A ward-based gym
- An intensive therapy programme for rehabilitation
- An 'activities of daily living' kitchen and therapy room
- A speech and language treatment room.
The rehabilitation programmes are tailored to meet the individual needs of the patients. Case conferences will be held with family and patients and the team meet weekly to discuss the progress and goals of each patient.
If a patient becomes unwell or is not responding to rehabilitation they may need to be transferred to another ward for care that better meets their needs.
Number of beds
- 20 beds in four-bed bays
- 4 beds in side rooms
- Breakfast: 8am
- Lunch: 12.30-1.30pm (protected mealtime)
- Supper: 5.30-6.30pm (protected mealtime)
Information for visitors
- All visitors should please report to the nursing station when they arrive.
- Children aged under 12 years are not permitted to visit. If you wish to discuss this please speak with the nurse in charge.
- Flowers are not permitted.
For further information regarding stroke, please see the stroke association website at www.stroke.org.uk