Level B, Jubilee Wing, Basildon University Hospital,
Nethermayne, Basildon, Essex, SS16 5NL
Senior Sister: Pam Day
Telephone: 01268 524900 ext 4616
Open from 2.30pm - 8.30pm with a quiet time between 5pm - 6.30pm. The quiet time does not mean relatives and friends cannot visit, just that consideration needs to be given to activity and clinical interventions during this time.
Who the ward is for
Patients who have had a stroke.
About the ward
Pasteur Ward provides specialist treatment and care for patients immediately following a stroke and during their rehabilitation, including:
- 24/7 stroke thrombolysis
- ‘one-stop’ TIA clinics
- speech and language therapy
- occupational therapy
- dietitian / nutritional team
Therapy starts as soon as the patient is admitted to the ward and is medically stable. The ward offers an intensive acute rehabilitation programme tailored to individual needs.
When patients are well enough they are transferred to the stroke rehabilitation ward, Lister Ward, or may be discharged home with support from the community stroke team.
Number of beds
- 27 beds, including eight hyper acute stroke beds with cardiac monitors.
- Breakfast: 8am
- Lunch: 12.30-1.30pm (protected mealtime
- Supper: 5.30-6.30pm (protected mealtime)
Information for visitors
- All visitors should please report to the nursing station when they arrive.
- Children aged under 12 years are not permitted to visit. If you wish to discuss this please speak with the nurse in charge.
- Flowers are not permitted.
For further information regarding stroke, please see the stroke association website at www.stroke.org.uk